There are 2 Safari-specific issues:
- Launching the software fails using Safari: The software will often not run the first time you try to run it using Safari, until you refresh the page (or after a new version of Java, you may need to restart the computer). Workarounds: use Firefox, or if you wish to stick to Safari, this bug can be avoided on future runs of the software by selecting both checkboxes in the "Do you want to run this application?" security warning: "I accept this risk and want to run this app" and "Do not show this again for this app". Apple engineers have known about this bug for years and it is still not fixed.
- Hyperlinks in the software don't work and you can't open or save files using Safari: The hyperlinks and file operations in the software are disabled by a security setting introduced into Safari in 2013. Workarounds: use Firefox, or if you wish to stick to Safari, indicate trust for the program a second time by: Safari > Preferences > Security > Internet plug-ins > Plug-in Settings… > Java (on the left panel)> and in the simulconsult.com line, and while holding down the Option key, click the pulldown choice component and un-click "Run in Safe Mode and then click Trust. For those who have submitted changes to the database, the software won't even load in Safari unless this change is made.
- Display not refreshing properly: Many versions of Java for the Macintosh result in intermittent failure to display some of the buttons on the screen. Oracle engineers blame this on a problem interacting with Apple's CAlayer implementation, but Apple emgineers assert that Oracle is the party that needs to fix the interaction. One workaround to reduce the occurrences of this bug is to use version 8 of Java instead of version 7 (if this is not offered automatically, try this link (choose the "JRE" version); you can check your Java version here). Another workaround is to trigger a screen refresh by hovering over a button with a tooltip or resizing the screen. Another workaround is to use the software on Windows.
- Java not running: If you don't have the most recent version of Java, your operating system may prevent you from running the software, which uses Java and prompt you to download it and install it.
- Need to register or your name is unrecognized: Register free by clicking here. Registrations are deleted if not activated within a week or if unused for a year.
If you still need help: Please contact us.